Thursday, September 18, 2008

Phang's Mission To Help The Poor

Tan Sri Robert Phang

Date of birth: June 1, 1939

Place of birth: Teluk Bahang, Penang

Profession: Social advocate and philanthropist

Hobbies: Attending church, enjoying food and social work

Family: Three boys and two girls

insidepix1

FROM a humble beginning, Tan Sri Robert Phang Miow Sin has earned a reputation as a vocal social advocate and philanthropist. He is an executive council member of the Malaysia Crime Prevention Foundation and chairman of the Social Action Initiative Foundation, which has donated funds to many people, Despite about three decades of social work, the 69-year-old is not slowing down.

Phang lost his father when he was 10 months old. His mother, Chong Kooi Kiaw, found herself a widow with three young children to support at the age of 27. When Japan invaded Malaya in December 1941, Chong pawned her jewellery, sold everything and fled with her children to Singapore.

She worked as a washerwoman, babysitter and operated a small stall to raise her brood. Their life of poverty had a major impact on Phang's life.

"I recall the words of my late mother who told me, 'We come from a very, very poor family. One day, when you make good, make sure you take care of the poor people'.

"It takes the poor to realise what poverty is. That was the day I swore to myself, no matter what, I would make it in life," said Phang.

On his mother, he said: "She was a great lady, the best woman ever. "I have met with lots of disappointments and failures but she was always there to inspire me. "She used to say, 'We might be poor but that must not stop us from succeeding'. "

Although his beneficiaries are too many to name, Phang is remembered for helping cancer victims and for flying down to Sulawesi to secure the release of two Malaysian accountants held by Indonesian authorities for 55 days in 2005.

Q: Why did you do it?

"I just had to do it. Two lives were at stake." For his untiring efforts, he received a letter from Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi commending him for his bravery. His belief in the Chinese proverb, "When the upper beam is not put right, the lower beam will never be right" has held true.

Q: Tell us about your early education

A: I began my primary schooling in Penang. When World War II started, my family left for Singapore where I only completed my Form One at Victoria School.

I came back to Kuala Lumpur 13 years later. It was a time of struggle. I spent almost 11 years of my childhood in Penang. My father died when I was 10 months old and I was brought up by my mother, who had a roadside stall selling cigarettes. She did many odd jobs to feed me and my two sisters.

Q: How did you start your career?

A: I began working when I was 13. I washed cars, was a car park attendant, a ticket collector and I helped my mother at her stall around the then popular BB Park in Bukit Bintang. I did many things.

At the age of 15, my sister married a Sarawakian, It was then that I joined a cigarette company as a salesman in Sarawak. I travelled the length and breath of the state and was intrigued by how the Iban community lived in their longhouses.

At 19, I met the late Joseph Eu, the principal of United Malayan Insurance Ltd, who offered me a chance to be trained in the field. I was sent to Hong Kong for six months. I became a general underwriter for two years but left as I did not have much job satisfaction.

At 21, I joined Cycle and Carriage, the Mercedes Benz dealership started by the Chua family, as a salesman and was transferred to their headquarters in Singapore.

After three years, I was promoted to supervisor and sent back to Kuala Lumpur. Within the next three years, I was promoted to sales manager. I was in my late 20s.

Q: How did you become involved with the Social Action Initiative Foundation (Saif) and the Malaysian Crime Prevention Foundation (MCPF)?

A: Saif was formed on March 15, 1997, with people like Tan Sri Ibrahim Menudin, Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye and Datuk M. Jegathesan leading the team.

The main objective of our social work was to help those suffering from terminal illnesses and to save lives. We also donated and awarded scholarships for needy students, especially in medicine. In 2004, Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye asked me to join the MCPF to create anti-crime awareness.

We worked together with the Inspector- General of Police and heads of other enforcement agencies to come up with better measures to prevent crime in the country.

MCPF has 25 exco members and branches in all states to increase awareness on crime prevention and to educate the public on such measures. We were formed to bridge the gap between the public and the police to understand how and why crimes are committed as crime trends change quickly.

The organisation is also affiliated to the Asian Crime Prevention Foundation, based in Tokyo, under a United Nations Charter.

Q: What are the major causes of crime in Malaysia?

A: The crime rate is alarming in Malaysia today. Recently, the prime minister took a step in the right direction to promote urgency in fighting corruption. He has said that enforcement must be extensive, transparent and governed with integrity.

The cause of crime here can be attributed to various economic reasons of the "haves" and "have nots". The high incidence of crime is also due to the inefficiency of enforcement agencies, which are governed by the political environment of the country.

You can say that the causes are the result of the three "Es" -- economy, efficiency and education. The lack of positive moral values is another major cause.

The young have to be taught in school to distinguish between good and bad, to know that crime does not pay. This can be achieved with a better education curriculum, crime clubs for awareness, and the guidance of parents.

Q: What measures can be taken to reduce crime in the country?

A: Enforcement. Good officers are hard to come by. The increasing crime rate over the last four years has led to the increase of 6,000 police personnel and 2,000 vehicles to combat crime.

I believe there is a drain of experienced police officers as most of them have retired. As a result, the knowledge and efficiency of the police is being questioned. There is a vacuum of good officers.

Proper training can prevent crimes, such as corruption in government departments and agencies.

The negative perception by the public has to be arrested urgently.

Crime prevention has a lot to do with public confidence. It has to be done with integrity.

Q: Tell us about your family

A: I have five children -- three boys and two girls and most of them live and work overseas.

Q: How do you manage stress?

A: A strong belief in God and walking three rounds at the KLCC park.

Q: What is your favourite food?

A: Hawker fare and wine.

Q: Do you blog?

A: No, I only read it when I am featured.

Q: In light of Malaysia's 51 year of independence, what are your aspirations for the nation?

A: I hope that Malaysians realise the importance of the guidance given by their parents aside from a belief in a higher power. Poverty is never an obstacle to success.

Nothing comes easy in life. One must never create or invite trouble. Practise equality and humility in all that you do. Malaysians should continue to learn and earn their livelihood by hard work and never venture into crime.

By K. Harinderan Johor Buzz, NST September 2008

No comments: